January 16, 2019
Mark your calendars! Parent sessions on helping your student cope with anxiety (Tuesdays 7-8 PM at Trafalgar: January 29th, February 5th, February 12th, Febrauary 19th & February 26th).
Open Studio starts up again Wednesday January 16th at lunch in the book room. All students are welcome!
Indigenous Culture Celebration at the Capitol Theatre Saturday January 26 at 4pm
- Every parent who accompanies a child or youth will get a complimentary ticket to the event. This will be on a first come first serve basis.
- It’s a free event for children and youth.
- There will be a draw for complimentary tickets for our Family Series shows.
- There will be a draw for complimentary tickets for “Children of God” which is a powerful musical about an Oji-Cree family whose children were taken away to a residential school in Northern Ontario. The story of Rita, a mother who was never let past the school’s gate, and her kids, Tom and Julia, who never knew she came, pushes toward redemption. This show has excellent reviews. More info on their website: https://capitoltheatre.ca/event/children-of-god/
CARNAVALis happening February 8. Stay tuned for more details!
Teen Tech Workshop Series at the Nelson Public Library: Intro to Web Development – Join web designer Gregg Coppen to learn more about how websites work, what goes into planning and building one and how you can build your own using free open source tools! Only ten spots available – register with Melodie Rae at firstname.lastname@example.org or 505-5683. Free Ages 12 – 18. January 17 3:30 – 5:30 and January 24 3:30 – 5:30.
EXAM CRAM at the Nelson Public Library: Bring your books and we will provide study space, wifi, brain food, coffee and tutors to help you with your questions. Saturday, January 19 from 1 – 4 pm. Free, drop-in! Even if you don’t have exams, but need some extra help with your homework, NPL and NYAN has you covered!
Mother Daughter Book Club at Nelson Public Library – Join us! We will be discussing a classic preteen book: Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume. You can read the book in advance by picking up a copy at the circ desk. Ages 12+, drop-in, free pizza! January 29, 5:15 – 6:30.
SKI DAYS School ski permission forms and payment need to be returned to your child’s teacher. Split 7/8 classes will be skiing as a class on grade 8 ski days). ALL students must wear a ski helmet at Whitewater!
Gr.6 Dates – Thursdays and Fridays: January 10, January 18, January 25, and January 31
Gr.7 Dates – Mondays: January 14, January 21, January 28, and February 4
Gr.8 Dates (including split 7/8 classes) – Fridays and one Monday: February 1, February 8, February 11, and February 22
BASKETBALL Basketball has started!
- Girls competitive grade 7/8 team will practice Monday’s at lunch and Tuesday’s after school from 3:10-4:30.
- Boys competitive grade 7/8 team will practice Wednesday’s after school from 3:10-4:30 and Thursdays at lunch.
- There will be a combined boys and girls grade 6-8 skill development after school on Thursday’s from 3:10-4:30.
- Boys and Girls grade 6/7 recreational intramural Basketball is at lunch on Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s.
- Open gym Basketball on Fridays at lunch.
- Bordeaux, France! Please welcome high school students from Bordeaux France in April 2019. This builds on a long-term cultural exchange (since 2010) between Nelson’s LVR and Bordeaux Ste Chlotilde schools. Wanted: host families for this year’s visitors (April 9-18). Interested? Please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org Nelson Chapter, Canadian Parents for French. Merci !
- TPAC: The Trafalgar PAC hosted the Corn Roast and will be sponsoring some other fun events throughout the year. More members are welcome! If you are interested in being on the PAC, please contact email@example.com.